As followers of Jesus Christ, we are called both individually and collectively to fearlessly apply our faith to advocate and break down the systems, practices and thinking that underlie discrimination, bias, prejudice and oppression. We are a committee of Saint Andrews Presbyterian Church in Raleigh, North Carolina. The Saint Andrews Session, committed to becoming a church who lives out God’s work of justice in the world, authorized the formation of the Committee for Social Justice in August 2020.
The committee focuses on raising awareness of social issues through education and discussion, and supports meaningful Christ-centered action to end injustice in our society. The committee believes that we are called to act on our beliefs and work to change laws, policies, plans and structures in our society that perpetuate injustice.
2020 Annual Report
See the 2020 Annual Committee Report here.
See the committee’s authorizing charter here from the August 14, 2020 Saint Andrews Presbyterian Session Meeting.
The steering committee is responsible for coordinating the work of the issue groups and other working functions of the committee.
- Michael Schley, Committee Chair and Elder
- JD Ice, Committee Vice Chair
- Lori Edwards, Housing Issue Group Leader
- Judy Ice, Education Issue Group Leader
- Mark LaMantia, Criminal Justice Issue Group Co-Leader
- Juan Ayala-Carmona, Criminal Justice Issue Group Co-Leader
- Jessica Brueggeman, Communication Leader
- Katie Hirscher, Research Leader
- Sherry Hay, Connections Co-Leader
- Elizabeth Lusk, Connections Co-Leader
- Charlotte Sullivan, Programs Leader
General Committee Meetings – 2nd Thursday of each month at 7:00pm. The meetings are open to everyone, not just committee members and generally feature a special speaker. Currently meetings are done via Zoom. To receive the meeting link, click here.
Steering Committee Meetings – 4th Thursday of each month at 7:00pm.